Charon16
join:2006-05-26
Denton, TX

3 recommendations

Charon16 to Marcotor

to Marcotor

Re: New ActionTec Firmware - MI424WR.rmt_4.0.16.1.45.160.rmt

Have to throw in my coppers here:

Ran the MI424WR on the 120 build since it was installed (Jan/Dec(?)) and never had any real problems.
Closed port 4567 to shut off their updates, and had it shutoff in the advanced settings, but they forced one this last sunday (seems they have another backdoor) to 160.

Noticed Mon and Tue that the router would lockup and not respond to anything but pings (IE: no passthrough, no telnet, no web interface) and I would have to bump it to get it working again. Lockups would happen at random times, 2H to 6H.

Yes I'm running a custom setup, lots of changes (from the old 120) / but it ran fine on that one and config file loaded no problem / changes are QOS and Priority traffic on DMZ (few filters for games and DNS network objects).

In either case the port already mentioned should be closed and IF you are ok on editing the config file then change the updates (IE: turn them off) as the web side does not do it:
(cwmp
(enabled(1))
(acs_url(https://cpe-ems1 ---trunicated----

(periodic_inform
(enabled(1))
(interval(86400))
change to:
(cwmp
(enabled(0))
(acs_url(https://cpe-ems1 ---trunicated----

(periodic_inform
(enabled(0))
(interval(86400))
datwell1
join:2002-01-08
Falls Church, VA

datwell1

Yes, me too! My ActionTec has gone bonkers since the weekend update - wireless won't give an IP, the router locks up as described above randomly, and BitTorrent drives it nuts within a matter of a few hours. I have come to the conclusion that this thing is a real dog and I have given up on trying to feed, water, pet and otherwise accomodate it. I have ordered a Linksys router with extra memory and DD-WRT firmware and I'm going to put the ActionTec into bypass mode (MoCA-to-Ethernet conversion) and give the Linksys a chance. We have busy lives and therefore, reliability is a key consideration for us - in fact, this was a major consideration in our move to FiOS. We love FiOS, but the ActionTec is a real disappointment.

--Doug

rocky01
Premium Member
join:2002-04-24
NE

rocky01

Premium Member

GeekGirl, did you get that port closed? After updating Firmware to 160, my attempts don't seem to stick. I must be doing something wrong(!) since the Verizon pictogram page is missing a few steps and those seemingly redundant protocol - apply - port 4567 - steps are unclear. Can someone explain it better? I TRIED making newly added protocol apply to ethernet and broadband coax -- with no success on Gibson's probe specific ports test. It may be pilot error.
alleymon
join:2006-10-18
Lake Elsinore, CA

alleymon to Charon16

to Charon16
Thanks for this Charon. The change to the config file was the only thing to successfully block these firmware updates. I had subscribed to the "SurfControl" feature and was quite upset to see it gone. Hey Verizon, don't remove a feature you have to subscribe to!!! People have subscribed idiots.

I only noticed the firmware upgrade and the loss of SurfControl due to frequent loss of WAN connectivity requiring a daily reboot (sometimes more). When I noticed the new verizon colors I knew the firmware was to blame. I downgraded the firmware and was happy for 24 hours.

It took about 3 hours of solid surfing to find this post as most posters were concerned about actually speeding up the firmware update process. Yikes! I hope they all had better luck with it than I did.

Thanks again Charon.