Search similar:

uniqs

Oblivian32
join:2009-05-08
Lanoka Harbor, NJ

4 edits

2 recommendations

Oblivian32

Adobe Flash Player 10 Fix for WinXP, IE8, Firefox, ect.

(This is a possible solution for most users) I have found that inside the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash (WinXP Home/Pro) (Computer > C: Drive > Windows > System32 > Macromed > Flash for Vista) there should be a file named FlashUtil10b.exe (IF NOT YOU SHOULD UPDATE AS SPECIFIED!) (or FlashUtil10a.exe or for older versions something similar depending on your version), which is the update utility for flash player. Click on this and if it updates, you will have to restart your computer. This should fix any missing files, and update you to the latest version. I have this fix on the Adobe website as well, and it appears to be fixing a lot of peoples problems.

On a side note to all those who read this, I downloaded and installed 5 different times, the same version, from different websites, all for the "new" flash version, and they didn't work (this also included trying to update Shockwave player itself). Apparently, going directly to the website and downloading a new version of Adobe Flash Player, and installing, doesn't uninstall the older version, (though it says it does) nor fixes the problem. I assume they are aware of this problem, because they included this bug fix in revision 10b. This fix should work for those of you whom cannot view/see flash images as well. There also appears to be a bug/reference problem with the installation of IE8 giving the error "Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA", when trying to play a Shockwave/Flash file, which seems also to affect Firefox and other browsers. It doesn't recognize that the folder or files that it needs in it, exist. I never had his problem before, until IE8 was installed. I checked which version I had in the system32 folder and found this updater built in to Adobe. Version 10a does NOT automatically update, but version 10b includes this fix. I currently had version 10a when I received this error, and began digging for a solution. Doing the update as described above fixed the problem, and updated it to version 10b.

The new flash version 10b has some new features, such as volume control, auto-updating, and several rendering options for those who may have a faster or slower computer/video card. This view only works for the flash files built recently with the new adobe flash developer software. Most flash you see online now was made to be viewed with 9 or lower, and does not have these options available.

I found this works great for XP users but unsure of the Vista users. The process is the same for Vista and the update should still work the same, as long as you run it as Administrator, I assume. It appears to work for everyone so far. I have not heard of any problems from users with this problem running the RC (Release Canidate) for Windows 7 yet.

I hope this works to your benefit.

If this works for you, please give some kudos. Thanks!
Oblivian32

3 edits

1 recommendation

Oblivian32

(I would like to recommend those not using IE8, or Firefox 3.5, get the updated versions) Below, are some links that should help you with Adobe Flash Player, that I have found for you.

If your looking for uninstallers go to this site: »kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn ··· 157.html

If your looking for a TRUE FULL INSTALL, you can download this developer version for Windows and Mac: »download.macromedia.com/ ··· sh10.zip (44MB) (If you download this, I would recommend you still follow my instructions for the Flash Utility before restarting your computer.)

I would recommend all users having problems try the above solution first.

I have posted this on a couple of websites, and so far it has fixed everyones problems.

Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 has Adobe Flash Player coding built into the browser so that it not only loads faster but works better.

You still need to have the Adobe ActiveX plug-in and Adobe Flash Player for both browsers.

IE8 has tried this as well, but it still has a couple bugs in it.

If you have IE8 or FireFox 3.5 Beta 4, and you are still having problems, then I recommend that you go to www.windowsupdate.com and get all of the latest updates (including SP3), then try this fix again.

Your auto-updater built into windows (If you even have it on) doesn't always pull down every update available for your computer. It only pulls down the manditory ones.

Sometimes you HAVE to go to the website and manually get them yourself. I recommend when you go to the website, you click on custom install and pick every last one of them to install, which includes, hardware and software fixes for your computer.

What a lot of people don't know is that when you have installed and tried all of the recommended fixes that Adobe gives you, and it still doesn't work, is that you are having registry conflicts within your Operating System (OS ex. WinXP, Vista, Linux, ect.), and that it is not the Adobe software at all.

Those are usually repaired by making sure your computer stays up to date.

The fact is the computer world is changing so rapidly that everyone can't keep up. You have to check for updates weekly.

If you fall behind on those updates, then you start having problems with your computer and/or software.

One problem then can turn into many and people get frustrated when something all the sudden just quits working.

Take a day or two at least once a month, and make sure you update and maintain your computer.

This includes disk defragmenting, disk cleanup, and making sure you have all the lastest updates.

You can get to Disk Defrag, and Disk Cleanup by going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, then to System Tools.

I would do Disk Cleanup first, then Defrag.

I hope you take this advise into consideration, and that it is very helpful for you.

Thanks and goodluck, from another user like you.

Eyal
@inter.net.il

Eyal to Oblivian32

Anon

to Oblivian32
Thanks a lot.
For me I had to run in two steps:
1. go to - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash and run - NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe. This will install FlashUtil10b.exe.
2. run FlashUtil10b.exe.

It fix it all.

Thanks a lot.

Mich36
@96.15.163.x

Mich36 to Oblivian32

Anon

to Oblivian32
Thank you so very much for being the only only who knows how to fix this problem with flash player working. Adobes site for tech help etc is plain retarded with their own program glitches. I truly appreciate this!! I've tried everything under the sun and this one is the only one that really worked!!

Read adobe helps site, its a joke. They know whats going on and yet they keep askin everyone for details of their system etc etc. crazy and time wasters for sure.

Grimm43
You Never Hear The One That Kills You
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Largo, FL

Grimm43 to Oblivian32

Premium Member

to Oblivian32
said by Oblivian32 See Profile

Sometimes you HAVE to go to the website and manually get them yourself. I recommend when you go to the website, you click on custom install and pick every last one of them to install, which includes, hardware and software fixes for your computer.
[/BQUOTE :

First let me say this response is not a flame, I don't do flames it's just plain stupid and childish. With that said I find some of you recommendations to be a bit questionable.
I just got done posting this on another thread but I feel it is important enough to repete the keystrokes.

Never use Windows Update for hardware drivers as most of them are total train wrecks and make blood shoot out of your eyes. If and I mean IF you feel compelled or must due to necessity update hardware drivers, PLEASE do so at the Original Equipment manufacturers website.

That is JMHO

Greenhorn
@193.57.220.x

Greenhorn to Oblivian32

Anon

to Oblivian32
Hi from Hamburg/Germany

since unable to down load the Adobe Flash Player 10 from any source, I followed the advice from Oblivian 32 concerning update utility for flash player and indeed for the shockwave player it worked perfectly, but not at all for the flash player since although utility promised a new version after re-start, none showed up thereafter, so this action did not fix the problem. Under software see application name Adobe Flash Player 10 but no volume shown, hence the application itself not loaded. Any advice which could help to solve this
will be appreciated!

Kind regards
Greenhorn

Greenhorn

Anon

further to the above forgot to mention:
Windows XP home SP3 and IE8 (recently downloaded)
is being used

Thanks again for your attention!

Kind regards
moodiemary
join:2009-07-04
Parsippany, NJ

moodiemary to Oblivian32

to Oblivian32
Thanks so much for the fix -- it worked the first time! I've been having to use Safari because Flash Player just would not work in IE8, no matter what I tried -- reinstalling java, reinstalling flash player, etc. so THANK YOU for the perfect remedy!!!

ninn
join:2008-01-26

ninn to Grimm43

to Grimm43
said by Grimm43:
said by Oblivian32 See Profile

[/BQUOTE :

Never use Windows Update for hardware drivers as most of them are total train wrecks and make blood shoot out of your eyes. If and I mean IF you feel compelled or must due to necessity update hardware drivers, PLEASE do so at the Original Equipment manufacturers website.

That is JMHO
I did the video card driver update once from WU and i promised myself that would be my last, totally agree with you.
by the way, flash player works on every sites in IE8 and Firefox 3.5 except Metacafe, but can play it's clips in stand alone Flash player. i would like to get it play both in IE8 and Firefox 3.5

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to Oblivian32

Premium Member

to Oblivian32
I had a problem with IE8 crashing in Vista. A couple days ago Vista's problems and reports indicated it was the flash player and included a link to the uninstaller and installer for the new version. Seems to have fixed the crashing problem.

flashfix
@maxnet.co.nz

flashfix to Oblivian32

Anon

to Oblivian32
Thanks Oblivian. Your fix worked. I really didn't want to mess around with the Register as Adobe was recommending.