spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pjsbar
@comcast.net

pjsbar

Anon

Tru2way Guide Talk is Back

Take a look at this link from the Comcast Voices web site. Their reporting that the "Tru2Way" is coming soon to RNG 200 boxes (SA/Cisco) area in the future. Interesting!

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· comments

»www.ctam.com/html/tru2wa ··· uide.pdf
lynxexp
join:2010-08-17

lynxexp

I got a view of this new guide. It is absolutely stunning. I can't wait to see it go live. It is a totally new layout and is in full HD.
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to pjsbar

Premium Member

to pjsbar
I can't wait. I have an RNG200 and the UI is just terrible.... slow, ugly, and lacking in features.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to pjsbar

to pjsbar
why just the RNG ones? I have a SciAtl box that was made after the cisco purchase of SA but before the RNG's took over and it says its OCAP .. shouldn't the tru2way guide work on that too?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to pjsbar

MVM

to pjsbar
I know the RNG boxes are built with IPTV capabilities. I figured they could put the DOCSIS modem inside to good use, once the cable plant has multiple downstream channels to choose from (thanks to D3 and modular CMTS / universal edgeQAM's).

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· lr_cable

Also other providers are working on their next generation HD guides. You have Verizon who is pretty close to deploying IMG 1.9, a whole new 16:9 HD UI experience. Cox's Trio guide from NDS is on the way and DirecTV is also working on an updated HD experience. It's only a matter of time before others follow suit. Hopefully Comcast's solution will also be sold to smaller operators who currently use the very archaic and outdated I-Guide. It's the only reason why I didn't go with Cable when I moved outside of a Comcast area. If the comparison between providers are very similar in programming, I will choose whomever has the nicest looking UI. With HD going to become commonplace amongst systems, what else is there to differentiate providers, besides pricing and bundle offers? The end user experience.

I think in the next 2 years we are going to see quite an improvement across all providers if they want to keep competitive. You have stuff like Google TV, Boxee Box and Media Center with far superior graphics and features, if they want to appeal to the next type of consumer, they need to keep the gears turning. A more modular software approach would be beneficial as well to get updates published in a much more efficient and quick manor.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to pjsbar

to pjsbar
what about us windows 95 systems that have had the same guide for 6 years now?
lynxexp

lynxexp

The new guide is going to deploy on Cisco RNG boxes first.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

what about Pace RNG boxes?
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR to lynxexp

to lynxexp
said by lynxexp:

The new guide is going to deploy on Cisco RNG boxes first.
Wow, something on Cisco boxes first???
lynxexp

lynxexp

Yep.

It is also being tested on Pace RNG and Samsung RNG boxes.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream to pjsbar

MVM

to pjsbar
How about Motorola DCX? They have an adequate Broadcom CPU along with 512MB of RAM and DOCSIS modems built in. They are Tru2Way ready, according to Motorola.
LeftyJR
join:2008-02-19
Avis, PA

LeftyJR to lynxexp

to lynxexp
said by lynxexp:

Yep.

It is also being tested on Pace RNG and Samsung RNG boxes.
Should I ditch my SA8300HD then? If so, how soon should I do it?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

How about Motorola DCX? They have an adequate Broadcom CPU along with 512MB of RAM and DOCSIS modems built in. They are Tru2Way ready, according to Motorola.
The guide is already running on this particular box. We know the Moto DCH and DCX boxes are able, for they have been running the alpha versions of this guide for 3 years now at expos.

This is a step further to rolling out the guide within a system. DVR (Moto and Cisco), non-DVR HD (Moto, Cisco, Samsung), and HD disabled SD boxes (Moto, Cisco, Samsung) with elder equipment unable to receive it removed (through attrician) is a great step forward from engineering getting closer to a real roll-out possibility for at least one system out there.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA

cypherstream

MVM

Thanks, that's what I thought.
hussle87
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06
Sykesville, MD

hussle87 to pjsbar

Premium Member

to pjsbar
is tru2way different from sdv ?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem
when will this be rolled out for the pace rng boxes or the dcx boxes? 2 or 3 years from now? My promo for comcast is up in march and I am thinking about talking my parents into getting satellite tv. All I know is their guides are 21st century while iguide is 20th century. Also Iguide crashes alot. Had to reboot my pace the other day because IGuide wouldn't respond.

Also why can't comcast just download the new guide to the capable boxes and leave the older boxes with iguide? Is that that hard to do?
Even if we had to take our boxes to a service center to get them flashed with the new guide I would do it.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by mikedz4:

Also why can't comcast just download the new guide to the capable boxes and leave the older boxes with iguide? Is that that hard to do?
Even if we had to take our boxes to a service center to get them flashed with the new guide I would do it.
Dish Network with the vip922 DVR would be the way to go. DirecTV is missing a lot of the HD channels we watch in our household and then some. Dish Network has these that DirecTV DOES NOT: AMC, Style, E!, TruTV, We, BBCAmerica, History International, DIY HD, G4 & G4 HD, Centric HD, Cooking Channel HD, HLN HD, LMN HD, Logo HD, Mav TV HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, Sportsman HD, TCM HD, World Fishing Network HD, Epix 1 & 2 and quite a few HBO/Max Premiums. HD Leader my ass. DirecTV sucks when it comes to content. I'd take Comcast back in a heartbeat, however I'm about 2 miles from the edge of their system. I mean really, how can you NOT have AMC in HD when "The Walking Dead" is the number 1 series on TV right now? DirecTV doesn't care. I advise against them at all costs, UNLESS Sunday Ticket and sports are your only concern.

Ok for running dual guides, say Tru2Way and legacy I-Guide, I guess it's more of a support issue. Publicizing 2 sets of instructions. Populating 2 sets of troubleshooting documentation and scrips for the front line staff, publishing 2 different websites regarding the guides. Maintaining two sets of firmware and guide revisions in the headend. Ensuring the RADD has enough slots for the proper code modules to support both legacy and Tru2way, and paying for all associated hardware to run both platforms, not only the initial cost, which for I-Guide may or may not be depreciated, but there are service contracts and ongoing maintenance / licensing fees.

Needless to say it would be MUCH easier if everyone was on the same platform. It's certainly possible to run two systems, some have done it with the Moxi BMC unit and I-Guide, and some (RARE) Comcast systems in the northeast run a dual stack with Tivo OR I-Guide DVR's. Then you have RCN and Suddenlink (I think) who is leasing real Tivo Premiers and supporting that with the on demand IP module. So can they run 2 platforms? Sure can! Can we send a man to the moon? Sure can! But at what costs are they willing to bear? I believe they WANT to push out the new guide just to get the edge on the market, it's a matter of timing, is it ready, and are we all ready to support, use and market this new software.

If the set top is Tru2Way ready, I don't see why a download can't be done to initiate J-Guide or Barcelona or whatever you want to call it. It would most likely be a 2 step process like the MotorolaTivo load. A code module is hit to that set top which activates DSG and it's sole instruction is to find the DOCSIS channel, range and attach itself to the network. If it can do this, then it can find the tftp server or whatever method they are using to download the new software once the set top is in DSG mode. I believe DSG will be required as it is part of the Tru2Way spec, and it paves the way for more interactive, data intensive traffic to and from the set tops, unlike the rather limited 2mbps OOB channel.

As plants evolve with universal eQAM's and modular CMTS systems, DOCSIS 3 multiple carriers, the load is lightened a bit so CMTS carrying set top traffic isn't really a big deal as it would have been in the past. Plus WOM and analog reclamation frees up bandwidth needed for additional data QAM's. I think they had to do the things they did in this order to succeed.

Good luck Comcaster's!
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

Dish is lacking MLB network / MSG / MSG+ / YES / CSN CA (soon may also lose CSN CHI / CSN BA / CSN WHS) lacking RSN in hd 24/7 lacking RSN HD over flows.

EPSN NEWS HD.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by Joe12345678:

Dish is lacking MLB network / MSG / MSG+ / YES / CSN CA (soon may also lose CSN CHI / CSN BA / CSN WHS) lacking RSN in hd 24/7 lacking RSN HD over flows.

EPSN NEWS HD.

Not anything I could care less about. To each his own.
kcblack
Premium Member
join:2000-09-11
Chicago, IL

kcblack to pjsbar

Premium Member

to pjsbar
Anyone know if this will mean a change in the Tru2way Panasonic TVs Guide?