MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

9 recommendations

jaykaykay

MVM

Info: MS still updating to WIN10 without user's knowledge

I just had a frantic friend email me that her computer is installing WIN10! She didn't want it nor did her husband whose did the same thing. He hates it. I told her how to reverse the installation by sending her a link, but they're still doing it, just in case anyone wondered. Not on my system...they can't, but on unsuspecting computer users. It's totally disgusting for any company to do this and everyone, John Q. Public, sadly does not know how to stop it or deal with it once it's done.

If anyone is interested, I quote this from somewhere else, but it contains a link that someone might find advantageous. I hope the article is still in force.

"If you have been a victim of Microsoft installing an unwanted operating system on your PC, there is good news -- you can easily uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 or 8.1, provided you act within 30 days.

»betanews.com/2016/03/13/ ··· consent/

You don’t mind wasting your time removing an operating system you never asked for, right?

Of course, it’s fair to say Microsoft will, at some point, put Windows 10 on your PC again, probably using some other underhand method to sneak it on there."
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

5 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Actually going back hasn't been 100% for many, and left behind problems, forcing them to restore from a backup/doing a clean install anyway. If people have been imaging their drives it's better to just restore an image, and then make sure to remove that damned GWX KB3035583.
PoPs5000 (banned)
join:2015-07-24
usa

1 recommendation

PoPs5000 (banned) to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
its real easy just put your windows 8 or 7 install dvd in the drive and install it by distroying windows 10 problem solved

angussf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ

5 recommendations

angussf to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Never10 is your friend here ...
Never10 is your friend here ...
GRC | Never10 
»www.grc.com/never10.htm
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

8 recommendations

scross to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
Microsoft just seems to keep digging a deeper hole for themselves here with this ongoing crap, and potentially opening themselves up to a class-action lawsuit or other legal troubles. Especially now for things like the following, which is similar to actions which got them into real legal trouble before, and may be the thin end of the wedge for their trying to go back to some of those old practices.

Microsoft just locked people out of using Google with a key part of Windows 10

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· 0-2016-4

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

4 recommendations

dandelion

MVM

Time for Google to sue.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
A utility for fast, free, and simple Windows 10 uninstallation
quote:
Our Windows 10 uninstallation utility lets you or anyone you know quickly and easily revert back to Windows 7 or Windows 8… painlessly.
»neosmart.net/blog/2016/f ··· ore-3593

Neosmart produces fine utilities for windows, eg: iReboot and EasyBCD.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

8 recommendations

Blackbird to scross

Premium Member

to scross
said by scross:

Microsoft just seems to keep digging a deeper hole for themselves here with this ongoing crap, and potentially opening themselves up to a class-action lawsuit or other legal troubles. Especially now for things like the following, which is similar to actions which got them into real legal trouble before, and may be the thin end of the wedge for their trying to go back to some of those old practices. Microsoft just locked people out of using Google with a key part of Windows 10

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· 0-2016-4

If Cortana's truly part of the OS, it is what it is, and other browsers and search engines should have to deal with its APIs and idiosyncracies as best they can, just like dealing with any other part of the OS. But if Cortana must necessarily be intimately linked to Edge and Bing, and require those Microsoft brands in order to operate correctly, then it needs to be an integral part of Edge and not part of the OS. Microsoft can't make it part of the OS and erect a wall against its use, however flawed that usage might be, by competitive browsers and search engines without raising anti-competitive issues. It seems like Microsoft has missed the entire spirit and intent of the EU's ruling against them which contributed in large part to the end of its IE 'monopoly' days. One can rather safely predict this will turn out exactly the same way, once EU elects to initiate a similar smack-down... and along with rulings against it will come 'signficant' punitive damage assessments.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

6 recommendations

Dustyn to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· TsZ9II4Q

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

3 recommendations

Phoenix22 to angussf

Premium Member

to angussf
jeessh..........here i thought the door was locked.
while it is now, thanks to steve g. thanks to you for parkin' this link in this here thread! most appreciated!
jd
Phoenix22

1 recommendation

Phoenix22 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
happened on marine friend of mine's laptop.....he shudda listened.......

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

9 recommendations

Davesnothere to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

....It seems like Microsoft has missed the entire spirit and intent of the EU's ruling against them, which contributed in large part to the end of its IE 'monopoly' days.

One can rather safely predict this will turn out exactly the same way, once EU elects to initiate a similar smack-down... and along with rulings against it will come 'significant' punitive damage assessments.

K00L !

It might well end up COSTING Microsoft a bundle to 'give away' its free OS !

I'd like [to see] that.

It'd look good on them !

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
I think the EU will smack them down again. Writing to Congress or FTC ? in the US may bring action.
I have 10 installed on my three machines and the only problem has been with updates which had me do a clean install twice. The third is still in the back of my mine to do the same thing.

I don't know the depth of the problem as it has not gotten major comment in the press that I know of.
Anyone know someone who works for a major news outlet ?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

8 recommendations

EGeezer to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

I just had a frantic friend email me that her computer is installing WIN10

I had a similar episode. The friend complained that his PC was running slow. I siad i'd take a look at it in a couple of days. He called me back and said his PC was now on Windows 10 and he had no idea how it happened...

I'm using GWX control panel. ( »ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ ) It has been effective in removing WIN 10 nags. I have WIN 8.1 and review every patch Microsoft issues, and hide any that refer to "user experience', 'compatibility with other operating systems' or similar language.

It's a shame I can't trust the guys who are peddling "trusted computing" ...

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to Ken1943

Premium Member

to Ken1943
i hope you have a huge supply of oxygen.........or are you robotic in nature?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Actually going back hasn't been 100% for many, and left behind problems, forcing them to restore from a backup/doing a clean install anyway. If people have been imaging their drives it's better to just restore an image, and then make sure to remove that damned GWX KB3035583.

Or run Never10 »www.grc.com/never10.htm
TechnoTech
join:2015-01-12

2 recommendations

TechnoTech to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
I've got the GWX Control panel installed on all my machines, updates totally disabled, and the update servers blackholed in my router.

Go for it Microsoft, make me update :P.
scross
USA

2 recommendations

scross to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
More Microsoft shenanigans (trying to force people onto Win10)?

Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has A Serious Problem

»www.forbes.com/sites/gor ··· -problem
davews
join:2012-08-07
united kingd

2 recommendations

davews

said by scross:

More Microsoft shenanigans (trying to force people onto Win10)?

Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has A Serious Problem

»www.forbes.com/sites/gor ··· -problem

Forbes tells me to turn off my ad blocker (MVPS hosts).....
scross
USA

3 recommendations

scross

Yeah, they're still pulling that crap, I see. Try the following link instead, which has some magic tokens at the end of it.

»www.forbes.com/sites/gor ··· 63f3395e

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

4 recommendations

jaykaykay

MVM

I actually just read this article and thought about posting it here. You beat me to the punch. I will just have to wait and see what happens on my own system. I don't want WIN 10, period.

Initially, when I got my new computer, I chose Win 7 over 8, but that was before the good fixes came out from GRC etc. So, I broke my system! So far, I've only had one problem due to what I did and it is not a major one for me. With what I did, I don't think they can push Win 10 on me no matter what they do. And, if I want it some day, I may have a problem unless I do a totally new install of everything.

But I am not worried about that. I just didn't want to be bugged, and the more I read, the happier I am with what I did to my own system. It might have been wrong at the time, but now it seems so right. (No, I will not tell what I did. I may have to come back here some day and ask what to do to fix it, but for now, I am happy.)

HFB1217
The Wizard Premium ExMod 2000-01

join:2000-06-26
Camelot SwFL

HFB1217 to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
Just did some checking again and my Update option has always been to let me choose and I just found KB3035583 in the optional section again.

Thanks for posting the KB number again

I do not know how many times I have removed it from my registry. But they keep pushing it!!

Is there a way to delete KBs from the updater or only the option to not install?.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

7 recommendations

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

They keep removing them from the hidden list, or republishing it. Either way they don't get the damn hint we don't want Win 10... My Win 7 is staying as Win 7, and my Win 8.1 is staying as staying as Win 8.1! Then again I spend most of my time in linux now to avoid the constant flow of Microsoft bullcrap since they released Win 8.0, but I still use windows for gaming.....

Sundog
I'm an analog man in a digital world
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Tucson, AZ

4 recommendations

Sundog to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

(No, I will not tell what I did. I may have to come back here some day and ask what to do to fix it, but for now, I am happy.)

Come on jaykaykay, tell us. Inquiring minds want to know.
Curiosity
join:2001-10-01
Dawson Creek, BC

Curiosity to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
Can you not disable automatic updates with Windows prior to Win 10? I really dislike those and I disabled them everywhere I could find them.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

What will be the rule after the free updates are over? Will they extend 7/30?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Curiosity

Premium Member

to Curiosity
said by Curiosity:

Can you not disable automatic updates with Windows prior to Win 10? I really dislike those and I disabled them everywhere I could find them.

Sure. I've done it since Windows Update ate my History in 2004 and Microsoft, after many hours of trying, couldn't get it back. So, I disabled Windows Updates and began using Microsoft Download Center to get updates I needed. Back then Microsoft had not yet crippled the installer so it was simple and easy and I never again dealt with that awful Windows Updates site. Eventually, Microsoft deliberately crippled the Microsoft stand alone installer so I had to go into Services and enable Windows Update Service on Microsoft Tuesdays so I could install patches on XP Pro and later on 8.0 Pro. Then I would disable Windows Update Service again until the next Microsoft Tuesday. I have always subscribed to Microsoft Security Bulletin and it is posted here every month also so I don't understand why anyone keeps Windows Updates service enabled.

I have Windows 8.0 Pro and it came with a USB drive with Win 7 Pro and downgrade rights but I got Windows 8 tamed after several months so I stayed with it. I had planned to probably upgrade to 8.1 Pro when Windows 8.0 Pro went unsupported this past January. But then Microsoft started all the crap with trying to force both Windows 7 and 8.1 users to Windows 10 which I find abhorrent (except for the Enterprise version which is ok because on it you can turn off automatic updates and update as I have done since 2004). Since there is no direct upgrade from 8.0 to 10, I have been left alone by Microsoft in regards to upgrading to 10. I decided it was more important to me to not have to fight Microsoft to keep 10 off this computer than it was to get IE 11 and patches for 8.1. So, I have stayed on 8.0 with no security or other patches since January. Luckily, I seldom use IE and I keep my other browsers patched. I'm considering an Ubuntu laptop from Dell (Linux fully supported by Dell) for my next computer or this just may be my last computer. I would use Windows 10 IF I could afford the Enterprise version as I did the Windows 10 Enterprise beta on a virtual machine and it's not as good as Windows 8 but not terrible except for the forced updates which makes it completely unacceptable. Since Microsoft owns all computers that run Windows 10, if Microsoft wants to give me a nice new Windows 10 computer then I would accept forced updates but it is ludicrous that I would think it acceptable that I use MY money to purchase a new machine that is NOT under my control but that is owned, lock, stock and barrel by Microsoft.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

said by scross :
Try the following link instead, which has some magic tokens at the end of it.
Yes your right buddy it went right thru!!!!!! (I wonder if that will work on ANY NEWS ARTICLE on forbes?)

Thank you!!
scross
USA

1 recommendation

scross

Based on some experimentation, I suspect that these tokens time out after a certain number of uses or after a certain time frame, which is what I would expect the general design to be. But you can certainly try to reuse them to see what happens.

BTW, I've found that when I hit the "Please turn off your ad blocker" pages at Forbes, once I do that and get past those, their response time is slow enough that I have plenty of time to re-enable the ad blocker on the target article page before any ads actually show up. So I'm not seeing any of their ads anyway! This little juggling act is getting old now, though, so I'm either going to have to find another workaround method or maybe just abandon Forbes entirely.

Often you can bypass such issues by Googling the article's title and then clicking the Google link, but not always. And the "magic tokens" that I reference above came from Yahoo (obviously), because that's where I found the link originally. Also, when you get work your way past the ad-blocker pages at Forbes, it tacks its own token onto the end of the article link, and that might be reusable, too.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
I see the latest patches included KB 3035583, listed as 'important' and installs the Get Windows 10 app.