uniqs
bumpski
Premium Member
join:2015-09-13
Springville, PA

bumpski

Premium Member

Major outage 6 AM EDT 5/2/2016

It seems Frontier had a major outage this morning. Internally their network was fine, I could trace routes over 11 hops to their DNS servers, but had no access to the actual internet. I could open up frontier.com, but it is so reliant on google.com it was extremely slow. Even now at 7:40 AM internet access is unreliable.
Does anyone know of an internal frontier.com page that just shows their status without a lot of garbage linked to it?
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

It appears to die in Chicago for me, after the handoff to Level3 - some sites work, others not.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

This thread is repetitive to two others, the FL thread and another. Suggest the FL thread be used as it already has more responses.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

The other threads seem to suggest a DNS problem. This isn't.

klipko
join:2006-06-28
Portland, OR

klipko to bumpski

to bumpski
Internet is out for me here in SW Portland, OR. Rebooted ONT and router but nothing. Not sure if it's related to your issue. I'm going to call support after I do a few more diagnostic steps (making sure it's not my network setup).

danhigham
@t-mobile.com

danhigham

Anon

Same here, also in SW Portland, OR. Klipko, it ain't your network!
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

2 recommendations

McBane to bumpski

to bumpski
I honestly think all of us FiOS subscribers are overloading Level3's network, since that seems to be Frontier's main transit for access.

Hey Level3 guess what, you're supporting the bulk of what made Verizon's network the largest tier 1 in the world now, at least until Frontier decides to add more peers. We're literally grinding Level3's backbone to a hault at multiple POPs.

Honestly what really needs to happen at this point is Frontier needs to build out a true Tier 1 with this footprint now, with multiple peer networks at each of their major POPs, at least 2 or 3 at each, ESPECIALLY where they have heavy FiOS infrastructure.

Until that happens our routing is going to be crap for the entire Frontier network. Sorry guys, we fios users probably suck up a good portion of the bandwidth on networks. One reason we were so expensive for Verizon to maintain.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3 to bumpski

Premium Member

to bumpski
Now back up for me.
golgi42
join:2016-01-12
Tualatin, OR

golgi42 to bumpski

to bumpski
Same here for me in Portland OR. Tried other DNS servers, no luck. Just in the last 10 minutes, I am having some sites starting to respond, but not fully functional. Ooma voip line won't connect. Issues with work related addresses.

Hifiwifi
@2607:fb90.x

Hifiwifi to klipko

Anon

to klipko
Also Portland area (Gresham) reporting here. Initially was a DNS issue and switching to OpenDNS fixed for an hour or so. Now nothing beyond their network. Can't ping anything and traceroutes are getting to Beaverton and taking ages, but eventually make it to Palo Alto, where they eventually die (my guess is that is where their Internet is being handed off to Level 3 or the likes). Thank God for tethering plans!

danhigham
@frontiernet.net

danhigham to bumpski

Anon

to bumpski
Seems ok now..
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane to bumpski

to bumpski
Thank you Frontier bgp gurus. Now go rant to your management for more peers.

Jon S
@verizon.com

Jon S to McBane

Anon

to McBane
verizon isnt a tier1 isp let alone the largest.. thats level3.
»research.dyn.com/2016/04 ··· edition/
McBane
Wylie, TX

1 edit

McBane

Uh, Verizon *was* the largest tier 1 by traffic (For last mile) until the sell off. To say they are not tier1 is laughable when they are listed as such even on your chart. Guess what just put Level3 way ahead? See their network struggle...

I'm a former Verizon neteng, it's my biz.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by McBane:

Uh, Verizon *was* the largest tier 1 by traffic until the sell off. Guess what just put Level3 ahead? See their network struggle...

I'm a former Verizon neteng, it's my biz.

I was told by one of the Frontier network engineers, they transitioned over 1.3 Tbps of traffic. That seems low to me, guess I was right
McBane
Wylie, TX

1 recommendation

McBane

I've been out of the neteng side since about '08 (Ironically when his article starts it's data). Right around this time Level3 had just taken on Netflix and Apple or someone like that I believe, so it doesn't surprise me they've held that top spot since.

I remember their initial peering disputes back when they took on Netflix back then too. Netflix had just hopped from one CDN to the next until Level3 because of their traffic disputes. I've been promoted up over engineering from day to day stuff, kinda miss the neteng trenches.

They should really pay those guys more. Just my 2 cents of course.
atigerman
join:2002-01-19
Tigerton, WI

atigerman to bumpski

to bumpski
I had what appeared to be a DNS outage... i'm in Wisconsin. Some websites were available while others just timed out. And i was using Google for my DNS, but everything seems to be working now.
bumpski
Premium Member
join:2015-09-13
Springville, PA

bumpski

Premium Member

This problem got me thinking about alternatives, so I tried my old epix/frontier dialup number, got error 751. Error in call back number??? Frontier still lists this as a legitimate dialup number.
Looking at downdetector.com there are Frontier problems all over the country. My service is still intermittent

klipko
Portland, OR

klipko

Ditto. Had service for about 5 minutes around 7:20 AM PT but now nothing.

danhigham
@frontiernet.net

danhigham to klipko

Anon

to klipko
Service is still ok for me. Klipko, are you still having issues?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to klipko

Premium Member

to klipko
said by klipko:

Ditto. Had service for about 5 minutes around 7:20 AM PT but now nothing.

As far as I can tell, service has been fine out here, have been using the Internet consistently since before 7a.

klipko
Portland, OR

klipko to danhigham

to danhigham
Yep. Still out but I think it might have to do with my ONT's power supply. The system status light is dim and it's making a humming noise. On The ONT the MoCA light is a steady amber, no binky. I've told tech support this but they think it's something else. Waiting on a call back for them. I guess they got tired being on the phone with me for 40 minutes.

I may have go to Darc. house to get some work done today.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by klipko:

I may have go to Darc. house to get some work done today.

Heh It's a mess around here, we're in the final throws of finishing up our kitchen remodel...
otakuon
join:2005-04-06
Loma Linda, CA

otakuon to bumpski

to bumpski
Still having major issues here in So-Cal. Packet loss at downstream routers. Causing havoc with our outbound VoIP calls. Been on the phone with their support all morning (which is India based...ugh). As a former Verizon FiOS customer (and a government customer at that), not happy but can't say I am surprised. Have heard from some of our citizens that they have been having major issues with Frontier since the switch over.
Skorr
join:2010-05-26

Skorr to bumpski

to bumpski
I've been having problems with major packetloss to several Microsoft sites for days now, including Windows Update.
jmwoods
join:2001-07-21
Newberg, OR

jmwoods

See the Internet Health Report site...

»www.internethealthreport.com/

You can run this test to see how interconnection points affect your individual connection...

»www.battleforthenet.com/ ··· lthtest/

At this time, Cogent seems to be the slow spot for me.

Jon S
@verizon.com

Jon S to McBane

Anon

to McBane
Your context/scope is to the USA, and if you go off the loose definition of what 'tier1' is.. Verizon probably doesn't have to rely on that many others to get reach-ability to other parts of the USA... so in the usa they are a tier-1.. but past that they need help. For me tier1 is global in scope (I work for NTT - 2914).. so I have a different viewpoint on the subject than most (as we view isp that are limited to a region is a tier2).
duox02
join:2014-03-14

1 recommendation

duox02 to DeLiver3

to DeLiver3
Something is definitely going on. Normally routed through Chicago, but been routed through Alma Michigan instead of Muskegon, and then instead of Chicago it's Ashburn, VA.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by duox02:

Something is definitely going on. Normally routed through Chicago, but been routed through Alma Michigan instead of Muskegon, and then instead of Chicago it's Ashburn, VA.

All of my traffic routes through Ashburn and peers there. I didn't notice any sort of outage this morning. However, I noticed my latency was a little higher(few ms) than normal. Tonight it's starting to go up and my speeds are starting to decline. I don't know what happened, but it seems like a lot of people were moved over to the Ashburn links temporarily or accidentally. I never see Ashburn congestion. Today is the first time I have ever seen it.
duox02
join:2014-03-14

duox02

said by Darknessfall:

said by duox02:

All of my traffic routes through Ashburn and peers there. I didn't notice any sort of outage this morning. However, I noticed my latency was a little higher than normal. Tonight it's starting to go up and my speeds are starting to decline. I don't know what happened, but it seems like a lot of people were moved over to the Ashburn links temporarily or accidentally. I never see Ashburn congestion. Today is the first time I have ever seen it.

Yep, my speeds and ping are "normal" for an Ashburn route atm, will keep an eye on them over the evening however. Because if like you pointed out a bunch of people got moved over, there should be some congestion. Hope we hear more soon!