bjlockie
join:2007-12-16
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56
Grandstream HandyTone 702/704

bjlockie

no linking dslreports account to TekSavvy account

The dslreports account used to be linked to my customer account.
>Linking is no longer used as account verification.
Does anyone know when and why this change was made?
It is very inconvenient to get support.
I can understand if they only want to accept account changes through their portal.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Looking into it. I know we've changed a few times over the past years on how that's handled. Let me confirm 100% and we will go from there?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to bjlockie

Premium Member

to bjlockie
I didn't know that was possible.

Neat

So you would use your DSLR account to log into the Customer Center?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

No. What we are saying is that your DSLr Handle is tagged to your account and in the past, when people posted in the direct, if it was previously authenticated that it was their account, we didn't ask them to verify their account details.

The policy of what we do was never official. I am working on something now.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

1 recommendation

rodjames

Premium Member

I hope you don't get rid of direct it's my main way of reaching out to you guys.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Andre

Premium Member

We are just working out the authentication policy... That is all.

MichaelS
join:2002-09-07
Thornhill, ON

MichaelS

Hey Andre,

I hope authentication will still be done considering it's possible to change your DSLR username (which I did a year ago)!

Regards
redgrandam
join:2010-08-10
London, ON

redgrandam

said by MichaelS:

Hey Andre,

I hope authentication will still be done considering it's possible to change your DSLR username (which I did a year ago)!

Regards

If you choose to have your account name in your profile for authentication purposes, then it makes sense that you should be responsible to update that if you decide to change it.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to bjlockie

Premium Member

to bjlockie
This would be most unfortunate, as I prefer to communicate via Direct, and never had to do any kind of authentication...

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Andre to bjlockie

Premium Member

to bjlockie
Hey guys,

After some discussion internally with the appropriate parties, a decision has been made that moving forward, when a new direct thread/topic is created, full authentication will be required. Ultimately, this is being done to protect the account holder. This also allows us to streamline our authentication process by making it uniform across all channels.

Keep in mind that if you are asking non-account specific questions, authentication is not required.

I know some of you aren't a fan of this however it's really in place to provide security for your account. Alternatively, if you are not comfortable providing account information on DSLr, we are available though other social media/ticketing channels.

Thanks,

Andre

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by TSI Andre:

a decision has been made that moving forward, when a new direct thread/topic is created, full authentication will be required. Ultimately, this is being done to protect the account holder.

That is not a good decision.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

1 recommendation

nitzguy to bjlockie

Premium Member

to bjlockie
Tell me what you mean by "Full Authentication?"

As a client of more than 8 years I am also troubled by this....and I miss TSI David...but I understand...
TSI is too big and fraud is a concern and etc etc etc...

The question is, is this setup to deliberately slow down responses? Is this going to improve the electronic agents behaviours? It just seems like a roadblock that does nothing to improve the customer experience...and if the goal is to retain loyalty...people enjoy these benefits...

If I wanted to tell my story 1000 times...I'd just go to Bell.

I await your response TSI.
sc722
join:2015-08-17

sc722 to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
Can't see it being a HUGE issue for frequent people, as they can just lead off the the auth information in their initial post.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

5 recommendations

HiVolt to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
Here's a suggestion... Optionally, have a unique "online support key" that can be generated via MyAccount, this can be used to authenticate the user thru all forms of online support, be it social media or DSLR.

I just don't feel like entering my full info each time on DSLR. Not that I don't trust DSLR, but you never know, same for other online methods of support.
bjlockie
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56

1 recommendation

bjlockie to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

Hey guys,

After some discussion internally with the appropriate parties, a decision has been made that moving forward, when a new direct thread/topic is created, full authentication will be required. Ultimately, this is being done to protect the account holder. This also allows us to streamline our authentication process by making it uniform across all channels.

How does this protect the account holder?
bjlockie

1 recommendation

bjlockie to sc722

to sc722
said by sc722:

Can't see it being a HUGE issue for frequent people, as they can just lead off the the auth information in their initial post.

The support agents can just as easily look it up.
I don't see any benefit to the customer.

Treegravy
Premium Member
join:2011-04-21
Canada

1 recommendation

Treegravy to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Optionally, have a unique "online support key" that can be generated via MyAccount

I like this idea. The one time I had support needs I needed to post my verification particulars and since that information is identity theft material the experience made me feel a little squeamish.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you don't agree with it.
TSI Andre

1 edit

TSI Andre to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
It means that you will need to verify prices of your account each time you create a thread so we can validate you before any modifications or information is released about your account.

TSI David is still around and all agents will be following the policy.

I don't understand why companies would do this to "slow down responses". That's just shitty customer service and were not in that business. The information quested is part of a template that automatically appears when you open a ticket so your post should include this + your request.

This has nothing to do about repeating your story. This is simply authenticating yourself when you reach out to us. No different when you call in.
TSI Andre

TSI Andre to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Thanks for the feedback. This has been discussed in the past and was brought up again today. Ultimately, the customer should be able to control this online on their own. I certainly hope this gets implemented in the future.

ShinraCorp
join:2015-05-01
Quebec, QC

ShinraCorp to bjlockie

to bjlockie
Think of it this way:

I'll go make a DSLReports account called Bjlockie and then go on the direct forums and ask to do a speed change on my account, which btw I was never told to be fully authenticated.

I mean TekSavvy can simply look up the DSLR tag Bjlockie and say, oh hey there's his account, let's do the speed change.

It's a security reason for the authentication, it's a hassle I know but I rather that no one tries to impersonate me by verifying information that only I should know then taking a swing and guessing that it's the actual owner of the account writing.

Another example (and one that's highly unlikely but who knows.) Someone knows your login info and decided to use your account, post in the direct to cancel the service, without verifying (of course they can't but let's just say that.)

As sc722 wrote, in the initial post just write down your information on it, authentication done and go on to assisting the person.
Vinch
join:2007-10-24
Pointe-Claire, QC

3 recommendations

Vinch to bjlockie

to bjlockie
I fail to see how this increases security because the old threads in direct are still accessible and the info can be copied/pasted into the new thread.

digiwth
join:2012-09-21

1 recommendation

digiwth to bjlockie

to bjlockie
As much as I enjoy the convenience of Direct, I've always felt somewhat uncomfortable supplying the information over DSLReports, who knows what the total number of DSLR 'staff' who can actually see that information.
bjlockie
Ontario
Technicolor TC4350
Asus RT-AC56

bjlockie to ShinraCorp

to ShinraCorp
said by ShinraCorp:

Think of it this way:

I'll go make a DSLReports account called Bjlockie and then go on the direct forums and ask to do a speed change on my account, which btw I was never told to be fully authenticated.

Like I said (maybe only thought it), they can require account changes to go through their portal or a person can phone in.
What is the reasoning for not providing support for a linked account?
bjlockie

bjlockie to Vinch

to Vinch
said by Vinch:

I fail to see how this increases security because the old threads in direct are still accessible and the info can be copied/pasted into the new thread.

Very good point.
Andre?
bjlockie

bjlockie to digiwth

to digiwth
said by digiwth:

As much as I enjoy the convenience of Direct, I've always felt somewhat uncomfortable supplying the information over DSLReports, who knows what the total number of DSLR 'staff' who can actually see that information.

I agree they should use their portal for that but it is lacking a usable interface.
It stores stuff in the US, does anyone know where dlsreports is located?

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

2 edits

RizzleQ

Premium Member

(I'm pretty sure DSLr is hosted in the US.)

I'd love to hear a lawyer argue how authenticating on every new interaction increases security. If the point is that a particular channel was breached and requiring authentication on every new interaction means that someone couldn't falsely authenticate, that's not true.

If a DSLr handle was breached, the attacker could see previously authenticated posts in the direct forum (it only goes back 120 days, but still) and falsely re-authenticate that way.

If an email address was breached, the attacker has access to all emails ever sent (unless the victim deletes all email out of paranoia) and falsely re-authenticate that way.

If someone's TekSavvy Help Center login was breached, all previous tickets (which can't even be deleted) can be seen and an attacker can falsely re-authenticate that way.

If a Facebook...

If a Twitter...

If a...

The point is that by adding verification at every new interaction doesn't help security if someone's online account was breached since most accounts log everything forever. In fact, authenticating at every new interaction just puts your personal details in more places for it to be seen by those who shouldn't.

I guess I'm glad my TekSavvy services work nearly all the time, so I don't need to request help that often to care about this anyway

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

I'd be going with HOTP, here is a list of 10 codes, use one per online ticket you open with us?

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

1 recommendation

rodjames to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
I don't mind authenticating in direct. The info in there is just as safe as anywhere else online. As long as you guys trust it, I do.
rodjames

rodjames to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
exactly. you gotta know the secret handshake.